Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sense Perception Presentation

What were your impressions of the lecture and Test from Dr. Gillian? In your opinion, what should the average person know about how our brain perceives the world? What are the larger implications of this?

The lecture and test from Dr. Gilligan were very interesting and eye-opening in that from them, I realized how much we humans THINK we pick up on things but really don't, etc. When she gave us the perception test, I was kind of shocked about how many things I completely missed, and I wasn't the only one in the class.
I think it is very important to be informed with facts, such as the particlars of the biology of human senses, before we can judge whether certain knowledge can be justified and how. However, after taking this test and learning of the many faults of the human to capture the truth through empiricism (i.e. our brain "corrects" much of what we see/read, etc.) leads to doubting the true justification of any 'truth'. If I didn't even notice that it said "too too" on the sign, how can I be sure that I am ever reading certain things correctly?
On one hand, I think everyone ("the average person") should know the information presented to us by Dr. Gilligan, and more. It is important for us to know how our brain and body really function and produce certain perceptions, which are not always right, such as the tendency of our brain to "fix" things or go towards the familiar. On the other hand, I am pretty sure the average person does not know all this information, but we (the human race) have done pretty well so far... Obviously occasional mistakes are made; Susan thinks she saw Simon murder Raphael, and she was wrong. Those things happen in the court and in life. Maybe we should try to fix or reduce these ocurrences, but as of yet I am not sure how and I have no answer.
I am not sure what the implications question is referring to, but I guess this implies that we need a better system of education around the world to expose our human follies of perceptions, and that we should be careful what we base out justification of truth/knowledge on. Empirical 'knowldge' is not seeming like the most reliable thing after taking that perception test...

No comments: