Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Do Parents matter?

I was not able to get onto the blog (due to safari failing me each time) and refresh my memory of the exact question, but I read the the article about Judith Harris and her theory that parents don't so much matter in the development of a child, but that their peers matter much more. To the first question asked in TOK, I think she (Harris) would agree that we are our family to some extent because even she admits that our parents pass down genes we cannot escape. However, she feels that we are much more our community, especially the community our age. She would feel that we our much more shaped by our friends and people our age than by our nationality, etc.
I agree somewhat with her, because from personal experience, I can say that for many things, I am much more likely to follow my peers' examples than my parents'. After all, like Harris said, our peers are the new upcoming age; our parents are outdated. However, I do feel that parents are due a BIT more credit for the development of their children than she is giving them. My parents have raised me believing certain things and made me think about certain things. I really believe they have had a big impact on my life and my personality, even if I do not always follow what they wnat, etc.

No comments: