Sunday, November 16, 2008

Diving Bell #2

1. What do you think of Bauby's line in Bathtime when he states, "But I see in the clothing a symbol of continuing life. And proof that I still want to be myself. If I must drool, I may as well drool on cashmere."
I think it is kind of sad that these are his only options and that he does have to drool... But I see what he means when he wants to be in his own clothes and still be "himself". Why should a disease/disability make you into a new person? He still thinks the same way and is the same person, so he should get to wear his own clothes that HE likes and feels comfortable in. I know I would rather wear my clothes than some generic jogging suit given to me by the place I most dread.

2. Considering how Bauby wrote the book, does it matter that he happened to speak French? How would have the writing of the book been different if he spoke Japanese or Chinese?
I think his speaking French does not really matter in terms of how the book turned out, but it mattered in the writing of the book. Words and ideas are generally the same in each language (a house is still a house no matter what language you say the word in) as far as I know, but certain languages use more letters or words to communicate different ideas, etc, so I am sure it would have taken more/less time if it was in another language since the translator or scribe for Bauby had to read out each letter of the alphabet, and it would take a lot longer if you had to go through ALL the hundreds of characters in the Japanese/Chinese languages for each word/letter.

3. Why does Bauby find his appearance humorous?
In a way he FORCES himself to think his damaged, dilapidated appearance is humorous because he is slightly overwhelmed by all the blows he has been dealt by fate; he was "exiled, paralyzed, mute, half deaf, deprived of all pleasures, and reduced to the existence of a jellyfish" and now he is also "horrible to behold." It is "comical" that on top of all his disabilities, he looks completely hideous, barely even human, and has no dignity left. What else can he do but laugh? That is the human's nervous mechanism.

4. After reading the Chapter, Cinecitta, think of a place where, if given one last opportunity, you could spend an afternoon. Why did you choose this place? Please describe it in detail.
Despite the awful, much over-used cliche of the beach, I would spend my day at the beach if I had the choice. Actually probably my evening, because I love the beach around sunset and afterwards, when it gets dark and the lights from far away houses reflects on the water. It doesn't matter much to me WHICH beach it would be, just a place where there is lots of sky and sand and open ocean. I love the feeling of freedom I get when at the beach; I am no longer surrounded by houses and trees blocking my view, and the world is layed out for me to behold. It is calming and peaceful (when I am alone, not amidst a crown of tourists), and I can run all over the place or swim or shout or throw things... I can hear the sound of the waves and smell the salty air, feel the wind against my skin and through my hair, and of course look at the beautiful scenery. It is a place that I can think, and I am empowered with possibilities yet overwhelmed by the huge world around me.

5. After reading Tourists, please think of why we don't make more of an effort to connect with those that might look or act different than us.
I think this partially goes back to how humans are obsessed with familiarity, perhaps subconsciously, but if we are not familiar with seeing "messed up" people or people simply different than us -what we are used to- it makes us uncomfortable. We do not quite know how to act around people who are not like us because maybe we feel that we don't have anything in common with them or won't be able to connect with them. It can also be an awkward situation if, like in his story, you are a more fortunate "patient" or person and feel like maybe you will just rub it in their faces if you talk to them.

6. Read Sausage and then consider the following: if you couldn't eat again, what meal would you miss the most? Please describe what it looks and tastes like.
This is a very hard choice for me because I love a variety of foods and not really one in particular. I guess though, Bauby's sausage is my chicken... I love chicken, cooked in a variety of ways: marinated and grilled, in soup, cooked and put over rice with sauce and vegetables... I love my mom's cooking (mostly because she has learned to cook what I like), and if I could never eat again, I would miss all her meals so much, one of them being Chicken Primavera - rice with chicken, cream of chicken sauce, and chopped vegetables (this looks creamy and steamy and delicious). However, I would also dearly miss pasta (in Many forms), the scallion pancakes from Chinese food restaurants, and ice cream, just to name a few.

No comments: