Saturday, November 22, 2008

The White Man's Burden

Please take a few moments and comment on the film we saw in class. In particular, did any part of the film make you 'think twice'? Please explain your answer.

The movie we watched was kind of strange for me to watch because I am so used to seeing pretty much only white people with a few black people here and there, since we don't have much diversity or variety on Cape or even really in most of the movies we see. It wasn't so much that it was black people holding the higher positions and the white family being the poor one in the movie that was strange for me, it was more of the everywhere-I-look black people that caught my attention. The only movies I have seen with that really large ratio of black people to white people are like comedy shows or movies like Medea's Family Reunion.
I also experience this kind of subconscious ___ (I don't know what word to put here, but like Being Caught by things that are different or unfamiliar) when I watch Asian movies or whatever, but what is weird is that I don't usually notice (as much) when there is one or maybe a few people that are not white in a film that is mostly whites... I think it is just weird for me if in a movie there are not a lot of white people because that ia what I see every day, and if there are only a few of them, it's like where's the rest??

No comments: